View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 11:11   Link #255
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To answer your question, let me draw a comparison between the first three episodes of Sword Art Online, and the first thee episodes of another famous anime called Madoka Magica.

Spoiler for Major Madoka Magica spoilers for comparison purposes:
Spoilers
Spoiler for Madoka Magic and SAO comparison
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Long story short, I really think it would have been better if this episode had been spread out over two.

Imagine if this episode had ended on a relatively happy, upbeat note, and then you were hit with a ton of bricks as the guild was decimated in the first half of Episode 4.

It also doesn't help that we already had named character death in Episode 2. People can get accustomed to named character death if it happens frequently. It starts to yield diminishing returns, emotionally.
In terms of emotional impact, yes, it definitely would have. No argument there. The problem is that, as I've pointed out a few times before, there just isn't enough material to make it span 2 whole episodes. The studio could've created some filler scenes to make up for the lack of material, but fillers usually do more harm than they do good. In my experience, anyway.

Ahh, that's right; I had completely forgotten Diabel bit the dust back in episode 2. And yes, that's very true.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to how easily each person gets attached to characters; one episode is enough for some, and it isn't for others.

Quote:
Clannad made me cry a few times, and I certainly don't mind saying that. But Clannad did that, in part, because I was given a chance to get attached to its characters before anything all that bad happened to them.
Mhm. That's the formula for tragedy; get the viewers successfully attached to a certain before letting something horrendous befall them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Wow...Kirito just solo'ed an event boss. How could this even possible?
Who's to say the event boss is so much more powerful than the other bosses? Plus, it's more than likely that Kirito's level was much higher than the Nicholas'.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote