View Single Post
Old 2009-06-10, 18:21   Link #168
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Nope, you're totally wrong there. The crackdown took place in the early morning of 4 June 1989, but the protests began on 15 April, and the government didn't declare martial law until 20 May! Unless you're trying to posit that the protests weren't considered a problem until a month after they started, this theory is a complete non-starter. I can easily buy that the central government wanted to avoid violence if possible (there was no violence at all when they first tried to send the troops in), it's pretty clear that they panicked and thought that they had no choice in the matter.
Hm...I'm probably wrong about the traffic problems, but after a month of protesting, the hygenie must have been horrendous, and they were also going on a hunger strike.

Quote:
Part of the central government was amenable to a fair number of the student demands, but the problem was that there wasn't that much organization among the protestors to begin with. They had very disparate sets of demands, and there wasn't any one group that the government could negotiate with. As such, the longer the protests went on, the less influence the reform-minded leadership could exert, and the more vocal the hard-liners became, until the whole mess devolved into the massacre.
Perhaps if the proesters had been more organized, and the gov't less impulsive, then maybe this could have been avoided. Well, it's not use dwelling on the past now...at least China's gov't has started to make compensations to those who had suffered in Tiananmen Square.

Quote:
I agree that China isn't really ready for democracy, but it's untrue that it was closed off from the rest of the world. If that were the case, the Qing dynasty wouldn't have had to worry about stuff like wars with Russia and Great Britain.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. When I said closed off, I meant culturally closed off.

Quote:
Summary: China employs people to come up with policies that will improve the country's political, economic and strategic position in the world, and to find the best way to implement these ideas. Don't all countries do this? And if they don't why the heck don't they?
I recall asking him a similar question with no real answer given back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

Impressive at the non-sensical counters. Although all your points are supposedly to be valid based on the knowledge you possess. However, truth points out that you actually have no clue as to what is really going on these days and thus, debating with you is pointless.
And this is what you call irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
More over, as a moderator who possess quite an immense knowledge on the political issue would definitely not like the idea of getting striked down, I wouldn't want to hurt that pride of yours. Besides, this topic is getting pretty derailed to the point that the one who started the thread may not be very happy, thus it is only reason that I take my leave of this thread.
Now we can have an intelligent discussion on what China has taken from Tiananmen Square.

Unless you're blind, there are some obvious changes that have happened in China since 1989.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote