View Single Post
Old 2010-08-27, 09:36   Link #331
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
You know, I just realized that while I introduced myself on this forum and in this thread by starting a three page debate on time travel, I never explicitly said how I felt about Disappearance. Let's remedy that.

It looks like the author of the Haruhi series hit upon the solution to make the most out of his fictional world. How did he do that? Observe:

1. Get rid of the loud, annoying, crazy character.
2. Play up the only character that has any sort of usefulness.
3. Resurrect #2's rival.
4. Let everyone else fade to the background.

Upgrade it to movie form by adding great music and animation, and you have what's literally the best thing that could happen to the series (you know, short of developing the other characters).

Did that sound sarcastic or cynical? I didn't mean it to. I really did like the movie, and I'm looking forward to its DVD release. I truly think that as a part of the Haruhi series, it's the best of the novels I've read/watched (the first one is best if we're judging each independently of the others). But...what can I say? I call things like I see them.
You need to not look at Disappearance as a movie-script, but rather as a part of the novel franchise.
The first book in the series was written to be self-contained. After been told that his stories could be continued, the issue became HOW. The SOS-dan wasn't actually much of a team at all, by the end of the first book. And if they are not much of a team then there is no long term prospects in them having adventures together. Hence major story arcs were created in order literally alter each member's position in the story.

The filming of the student film and the event leading to Live a Live was written to mellow Haruhi out, so that Kyon can reign her in when necessary.

Endless Eight and Disappearance is about adding humanising elements to Yuki, and more importantly NERF her to hell so she wouldn't become game-breaking and make all future stories impossible.

As for Itsuki and Mikuru? I won't spoil, but they got their own arcs later.

Disappearance is not written as a movie. It was one of the more popular books because the author admits that Yuki Nagato is his personal favourite. But in the end the franchise is about the SOS-dan; as in, all four of them, together. Mikuru, especially, get a HUGE storyarc, one that might well envelope everything all the way to book 10. But we will see about that. Just because Yuki was the focus in her movie doesn't mean the other characters don't matter anymore.