View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 13:48   Link #21440
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Has anyone seen a David Lynch movie? Umineko reminds me a little of them as they're some sort of puzzles of mindscrew which I think you can solve (not sure about it though, Lynch never comments much on the movies, unlike Ryukishi). For example, Mulholland Drive has kind of an answer arc at the end. It is a bit ambiguous, but I got the feeling that it gave sense to the happenings in the movie's earlier part. To do that I had to connect the pieces inside my mind. Again, I haven't read EP7-8, but after the example above I don't think giving no absolute answer in Umineko is as bad thing some people make it seem. As others have said, if Ryukishi has skills as a mystery writer, you won't doubt your answer much if it is the correct one. The theme of Endless was introduced very early, after all. Though I'm not sure if I'll be okay with what the fanfic writers will be producing...

I also speculated about an Umineko Kai a few pages back. I considered Tsubasa as the Rei of Umineko when it was announced, but there is no limit to how many extra discs there can be. It could even be a new series of arcs (When They Cry 5), exploring the episodes in depth, but I think that would be overdoing/milking it. If Ryukishi is planning to give an absolute answer after all, he still has the oppoturnity to do so.

But it is hard to say whether Ryukishi is confident enough about his tale that readers are able to make the correct deductions or scared to release his own (crappy?) answer, thus letting the readers have any fitting answer they want. At least I don't regret my time spent on this, though it might be shorter than for some of you (I started with EP4 released).

Last edited by Bluemail; 2011-01-10 at 16:31.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote