View Single Post
Old 2012-08-06, 09:06   Link #35
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Your assumption is incorrect. And I don't see it in the same way. <...>
His assumption is not incorrect. As you rightly said in the second sentence, he's just seeing things differently from you.
Let's be intellectually honest here: his assumption might be incorrect according to your fully subjective interpretation of Oreki's character, but it's perfectly logical according to prototype_sky's.

I tend to agree with prototype_sky here by the way. I don't find anything pompous about Oreki's character; rather he seems like an insecure introvert to me. His apparent grumpiness (and "energy-saving" excuse) is his way of dealing with what he thinks is his inability to deal with others (and yes, that is my subjective interpretation ).
The only moment he seemed to have any self-confidence was when he got praised by Irisu... and then got promptly shot down, crashed and burnt the following episode.
Eru is someone he is unable to manage once she gets interested in something. Considering how tenuous his leads in the case were when he talked to Satoshi, it's not surprising he would want to keep them to himself for now.

Note that he explained quite clearly why he thought Chitanda would get in his way: not because he's a misogynist or whatever, but because he thinks she would disagree with and oppose his way of doing things. Oreki even admits to himself that he normally would have to rely on the rest of the club.