View Single Post
Old 2008-02-04, 00:41   Link #38
jaisrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Eh, I think "incredible" is going a bit far. It's quite good when it comes to character development and paying attention to details. The writing is solid as well.

With that said I have to admit that I don't always find the characters interesting. They seem overly stuffy at times and just can't seem to break out of their shell. Noe is an exception and can potentially pull this show to greater heights.

Quality and complexity doesn't always equal entertainment and I believe this show is a textbook example. No question it's still a very good show, but I don't see the separation between this show and a show like Asatte no Houkou (another quality show with excellent writing).
I thought Asatte no Houkou was an ok show but it was'nt that exciting or captivating. I finished it mostly because I hate leaving shows once I get started on one unless it's really bad. If I had waited until it was over and decided whether to watch Asatte no Houkou based on ratings by other people I probably would have skipped it and not feel that I missed out on anything great even in retrospect after having did watch it. I think True Tears does a better job of hooking you in with the drama among other things. I wondered what others thought so I checked and True Tears has significantly higher ratings for now compared to Asatte no Houkou.

Asatte no Houkou http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4339 has 7.42 permanent and 7.70 temporary ratings. Kind of mediocre ratings actually.

True Tears http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4325 has a 8.40 temporary rating and it has actually been creeping up the last couple of weeks. If it can stay this high or higher and the permanent rating is similar this show would rank in the upper echelon in the database.

Of course over a sample of hundreds there are guys who would give Asatte no Houkou a higher score to True Tears because the former appeals to them more but there are reasons why one show averages significantly higher ratings over another. It comes down to holding and keeping the attention of the audience because of the story and characters.