View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 13:41   Link #101
Zeriand
Banned

From what I've read and notes from the author, he has not confirmed any connections between SAO and Accel World. The only time they ever intersected was during Versus, and it was speculated by SAO scientists that they were connected to an alternate universe, or confirmed. An alternate universe.

I'd understand if you said that the worlds are tens of years apart - it's still an acceptable enough theory - but to forcefully link Kirito/Asuna to KYH at the assumption that they were parent/child is rather... forceful.

For one, Kirito/Asuna already have Yui. Sure,

Spoiler for Yui's true identity:

but that already creates a hole in the above theory. Where has Yui gone? In fact, where has all of the SAO characters gone - there's at least ten to twenty of them, and Kirito has a shit load of harem going on with him too - they were pretty famous as some of them are SAO victims, and to have not a single mention about any of them in Accel World when the two worlds are supposedly connected is... weird at best.

Suppose that they were gone because of a terrible incident, then the author must have at least mention of a 'certain incident' tens of years ago in the novel, but that never happened. Suppose that it was covered up. Haru might seem the type who 'doesn't want to dig his nose into someone else's privacy', but his friend Cyan Pike isn't, and at one point of time Cyan Pike had wanted to kill KYH, so he must've at least investigated about her past during or after that time. But the results are nil, and so far not a light has been shed on KYH's past.

In fact, we have to consider that no matter how shitty KYH and White Cosmos are in the past, Kirito and Asuna are not the kind of person to just let their kids live randomly on their own without any contact. We have to assume then that something has happened to them, or they're dead. That leaves 2 options: Either Accel World is about the epic story of saving SAO's protagonist who're KYH's parents - which would suck btw, this is a good enough novel to stand on its own without tying in MCs from another novel - or the dead end, which would make SAO a completely tragic story since it'll ultimately end with Kirito and Asuna's death (and maybe even other SAO characters), and since they're dead they probably won't even get much mention in Accel World except maybe a few chapters, with KYH's past still the main priority and not them. Which would suck honestly, but it does make good drama. Depends on whether the author is a sadist, I suppose.

There are also many circumstantial evidences that can be used - for example, in SAO Volume 10 Alicization Running, where the concept AI was heavily discussed, though I won't say a thing here since it's heavy spoilers - to contradict that the 2 worlds were connected to each other in any way at all, because there were several events and phenomenons that - if the two worlds are really just twenty years apart - SHOULD have happened, but did not. But in the end, these are all just speculations.
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote