View Single Post
Old 2013-01-18, 20:31   Link #1134
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
But yea. ALL those have problems. And they ALL have solutions. It's a matter of working towards them.
Well, my point is that all of these causes far more deaths than guns, yet there exists none of the outrage or drive to fix anything.

This isn't aimed at you, but just to illustrate:

20 kids gunned down: "BANZ0R ALL GUNS NAO!!"

1,000 kids born diabetic/dies from obesity related causes: "...meh, Imma go watch more honey boo boo".

Quote:
There exists an organization (the NRA) with the goal of preventing any sort of regulation, for the sake of gun sales.
and there exists organizations like Brady, with the goal of pretty much banning all modern firearm.

Quote:
I'm surprised that y'didn't mention cars. Oh wait, that's too easy. Traffic laws, Safety features. And regulations galore. Yet, we still live by them just fine.
Modern transportation is inseparable from modern civilization. Alcohol, cigarettes or junk food? not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Probably more than you do. SCOTUS are political, even if they are not overtly so. And Marbury vs Madison granted SCOTUS as the ultimate arbiter of the constitution (must to the dismay of Thomas Jefferson, btw). And precedent can be revoked or ran over. See: Dread Scott decision (now revoked) and the intense interest of "Roe vs Wade" (As both Republicans and Dems are fighting desperately to put a Supreme court judge in their favor on this law)

So yes, while you can claim the latest Supreme Court decision favor Gun Rights and even allowing hate speech, if the court composition change, we could indeed see a return to U.S vs Miller.
To be honest, I've just about had it with you. If you're not gonna have the courtesy to at least read what I wrote, I see no point in talking with you any further.

No one ever said SCOTUS rulings are eternal and unchangeable, as a matter of fact I've mentioned quite a few times that it is, both by itself AND Congress. The SCOTUS may be able to interpret the Constitution, but it sure as hell can't write into it, which is the sole domain of the Congress and the states.

The SCOTUS does not easily disregard precedents like you're implying. Can it change in the future? of course, but it's unlikely to be any time soon.

And wtf is with that hate speech part? what does that have to do with ANYTHING we've been discussing? and FYI, hate speech IS legal in the US, we have this little thing called the FIRST AMENDMENT that protects the right for people to present their opinion, no matter how distasteful or vile. Where it crosses the line is if it starts to actively incites.

The day hate speech becomes illegal in the US is the day when we've lost our freedom of speech, but then anyone who didn't sleep through every class starting from elementary school would know that.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote