View Single Post
Old 2008-12-30, 07:40   Link #30
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
On the other hand Marisa's personality felt off, in my opinion. Her VA is fine, but she sounded lazier/annoyed than I was expecting her to be. Although she talks like a male and speaks unpolitely, I was expecting her to be a little more genki, a little more energetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Overall the anime is very good, but where is my worst robber/thief? Marisa in this one looks so helpless, like a really nice girl gotten messed up by her bad buddies...
They seem to have flipped her role around, from the crazy eccentric person who everyone reacts to to the the "normal" reactor who's being caught up in the craziness. She's on the wrong side of the jokes.

I mean, this is the character who investigates phenomenon that she has nothing to do with because she's bored, decides to loot peoples' houses because she's there, and says the weirdest things to people ("Surrender the humans!")... It's really a strange decision to give her the role she has in this anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
Sakuya is the one that bothers me slightly though. My head was screaming "Maria-san!!" everytime she speaks.
Yeah, Sakuya was weird here too. It's like the writer just took "maid" as her only character trait and ignored everything else about her. Her arrogant confidence, the way you can't tell if she's an airhead, playing dumb or just mocking everyone else at all times, the serial killer theme and her ominous grins... Ah Sakuya, how I've missed thee. To reduce her to "maid" is so saddening. Or am I overreading her?

Then again, plenty of doujins reinterpret the characters in various ways, some interestingly, some less so; there's no need to get too worked up over this one. On the other hand, it's anime, so I guess that makes it more important? Well, it might for cementing an image in the public consciousness. Then again, everyone who watches this is probably a touhou fan in the first place... Except for the foreign audience who'll download it from a generic "fansub" site without necessarily knowing what it is... Hmm... Interesting.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote