View Single Post
Old 2012-01-25, 11:15   Link #31
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What's point is he making by repeating it? It's essentially double posting with episode number changed from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and so forth. He is not discussing anything new like say what was good this episode, just rephrasing what he already said, and what we already know he thinks of it.

He's also addressing the completely wrong people about it. If I want to know what's wrong with the industry this year, or whats the worst anime of who knows when I would go find the appropriate thread in General Anime. The reason why anyone goes to the series thread is to find what's good about a show, what the show is about, and what people are discussing.
Well of course he is not discussing something new if he still thinks that the current episode still has the same problems as the previous one. Like in your case, you were complaining several weeks that Shuu was still useless as a main character and that the plot and realism was also still bad in the guilty crown topic.

Also he never actually addressed the issue of the anime industry, but just the combination of the genres seem to work against the serie and the fact that this serie failed to live up to his expectations based on it's genre. Thus making it an unenjoyable show for him. So i don't think he was addressing the flaws of the shows in the wrong topic

Quote:
This is essentially going and talking about your love of meet products in the vegetarian convention or talking about manga/novels in the anime-only discussion. It's just with out purpose and can only go wrong.
That comparison is wrong, in his case it's just cognitive dissonance (which he even used in his rant about episode 2). For the people who have no idea what it means, just look it up on googe >_>

Quote:
What could possibly be the "good" result of such posts? People start agreeing with him and turn the thread into a ranting archive: "the 1001 things wrong with series XXX"? I can't think of any good thing that would come of it, and past incidents would indicate nothing good comes of it; you just can't hope for proper discussion in that context on that topic. At best it's just annoying.
There is a flaw with this statement.
If lot's of people start agreeing with him, then this show probably has those problems. Then there is a point in discussing this.
This annoyance that you are talking about seems to be some kind of lack of tolerance against criticism for the show.

Quote:
What? I'm not neutral one it. I said I was neutral in the debate you accused me of ranting. You're confused.
Ok that means even bigger problems if you meant your neutrality for guilty crown
Quote:
Like I said... the overly negative rants polarize the discussion. The so called rants you speak of was just me addressing people who asked me about it. I was even pm'ed by people demanding I TAKE a position on the show, even though I was merely neutral (ie. didn't care for the hate nor didn't see the love) and only answering because people were going out of their way to get answers out of me.
I really doubt that statements like these are neutral for guilty crown.

Quote:
The biggest problem here is this is a mecha show. Though it's pacing is that of a sci-fi drama. Mecha shows tend to have the easiest formula when it comes to asserting the importance of the protagonist: you just have a overarching doom-plot for which the protagonist is either the key or the only-key to ending it, then you just throw danger after danger under cricumstances where he's about to die but somehow gets out. GC doesn't do that. Shu is never in danger or the key to anything, he's essentially just a bio-weapon with a love interest. The funeral parlor are the key to the problem, they are the ones with their necks on the chopping block when shit hits the fan. So what does that leave us with? The daily life of Shu? Is it even surprising many aren't pleased with how it's going...
Quote:
I dislike it, therefore I write about why I dislike it; just as you write about why you like it. It's not like I'm hating on it, though I don't deny hating how some things are handled in it, that's still a valid way of expressing an opinion.

Many of us don't feel forced to like it by those expressing positive opinions so I don't understand why you both feel you need to take this meta-defensive stance to protect yourselvs from ours. It's like I'm not allowed to dislike the current progress just because you liked every bit of it. Get a damn grip people! Your opinion is not some shared resource, it's yours, and I can't really do anything about it even if I try.

Also, it's not like those of us that are still here have abandoned all hope of the show becoming anything good, or just hate everything about it. I think it's pretty unanymous that the show has top notch animation quality and really nice aesthetics (overall). And at least and some potential to drag it's plot back up.

And honestly who cares about what demographic it's aimed at? I never watched anything in my life because it had some sticker with my age on it. Not anime or anything else. Politically correct content be damned.
Quote:
Hence my point. Everything he does is barely of any real consequence. The pen has more power then Shu himself at this point. It's hard to care for the character when he's just being dragged by his feet into the world and only makes any sort of ripple on it every now and then in short bursts. It's like I'm watching two shows in one. One is about political/rebel conflict of GHQ and Funeral Parlor, messed up Japan, etc. And another is about Shu's daily life as honorary sulking Merry Sue. No fun.

To be honest characters like him "this doesn't involve me, this is crazy, I need to protect my ass" just piss me off. Characters like Saji in 00 or Flay in SEED, they can just drop dead for all I care. Shu's only excuse at this point is "he's a school boy blah-blah" but from the looks of it the Funeral Parlor are the same age too, heck that little kid was even younger—not that Shu gave a damn. So then what excuse does that leave Shu with? If he was non-sulky but just didn't want to take orders from Gai and the others, the character would have been more interesting; as well as original.

Well it's interesting, but it's not very intriguing. I mean what consequence does that have on everything else that's happening? The funeral parlor people don't care. GHQ certeinly doesn't care. Plot wise it won't make any damn difference, just give Shu more to sulk over, woohoo; probably will result in a ton of useless monolog and flashbacks too. The fact they're hiding it all too well is also problematic. You know "show, don't tell" kinda implies you better make sure people actually see it when you show it, no point in having some hidden object puzzle in the dialog.

Think of it another way. If it wasn't there would it make negative difference? Nope. It's only saving grace is that is somewhat implies Shu met Inori already, which moves the love plot. Shu meeting Gai, completely useless. Worse still I blame it for the inconsistent semi-crappy emotionless dialog we got between Shu and Gai so far. I don't really like being some Enigma machine just because the writers couldn't figure out how to setup their story straight with out injecting code into the dialog.
And many more, but i would be flooding this topic by quoting more.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-25 at 11:26.