View Single Post
Old 2008-07-15, 23:06   Link #844
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
If anything, Sheryl walked through countless failures since the start of her life. She had survived with willpower, and have admitted and learned from the experiences of defeat to become what she is today. Through each of these encounters she emerged stronger. Of course, there is a problem with that as well, it made her lonely and not care for anyone around her until now.
Hmmm... considering how shocked she was that things weren't going so well flying the blue Valkyrie, I've got to wonder about that. Seems kind of like "watashi wa Sheryl desu!!!" has been doing pretty well for her…

Quote:
To actually care for someone is probably going to be a new experience, I am interested to see how she will deal with it. Otherwise, she had dealt with everything in the past more or less alone.
I don't disagree with the loneliness angle per se, but I think she's past that hump. That indifference and bitchyness from the early episodes kind of melted away when she started crying on stage in episode 7...

Now I’d say she’s moved on to a crash course on human relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Right now, Alto's main focus is on developing his piloting skills and his career. He just doesn't want to be burdened with other issues. So if Sheryl presses the question before he's ready, then he'll feel pressured into making a choice about their relationship. But the problem is that she'll never know without first asking. So it's a tricky issue to begin with.

If she was asking it of herself, then we would have seen a moment of introspection from her. Did you see something along those lines?
Not really… but I think I’m over that line of thought; the reprocussions are the same, and I still don’t think she committed to it… but I really think it had nothing to do with anything or anyone but Sheryl. They were talking about kissing, and Sheryl just went for it. Pure impulse. It’s hotter that way.

Quote:
I agree that you should always try to learn from your defeats. But the word defeat implies that the situation could potentially have been under your control.
I had the word in quotes initially, because I didn’t really like the choice of wording, but I couldn’t think of a better one. The gist of it is this: “be like a weeble wobble”

Quote:
Sheryl's situation regarding her family, for example, is not an issue of victory or defeat. It's painful, and she's openly willing to accept as much; there's no weakness in that. Her strength lies in the fact that she's adapted to her circumstances and found success in spite of them.
No, and there’s something to be said for making lemonade out of lemons (I really have a fetish for colloquialisms ), but my point from the start has been: at what cost? She’s probably going to turn 18 soon (because, you know we need more birthdays as plot points this series) and her only meaningful relationship (aside from Alto and Ranka) is a cyborg bitch who tried to kill her.

Realistically, everyone has got their insecurities and coping mechanisms, but the farther they take you the harder they are to let go of. And, I love the adaptability, but I question the foundation; she’s literally to a point where she just can’t be “Sheryl Nome” and succeed.

Quote:
Sheryl's main weakness is that she just doesn't know when to cut and run. Basically, she's the type to use up all of her items on a hopeless boss fight. But while such behaviour makes more prudent minded individuals sigh in despair, there's also something incredibly endearing about her gutsiness.
More or less exactly what I was getting at.

Quote:
We never know what's possible and what isn't without people who are willing to try to push past those limits.
Even the best fall down sometimes… at least in real life… but there comes a point where endearing can turn to frustration. Lord knows when I was watching Robotech as a kid I was yelling at Rick… and then again at Hikaru… and let’s not bring up Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

Quote:
It only seems that way because nobody usually tries. But those who do are an inspiration to everyone around them.

Unless you're in a sentai show, of course. In that case, combine your powers to win!

Either way, Sheryl is a bit too impatient to sit around waiting to be rescued from her inner demons.
Nobody can be rescued from their inner demons, the decision to let go of those is on them. But what I’m getting at is that no one is an island. Alto is starting to realize that, and I think Sheryl has too, to a lesser extent. It doesn’t mean it’s a good foundation for a romantic relationship, but really, if you can’t bring yourself to believe in the people around you… that’s not even living. There’s no shame in asking for help, or accepting help... ooh, I’ll take this opportunity to segue into one last point…

As the lone MichaelXSheryl shipper (thanks tho, to crisis, and my handful of other MXS side story supporters) but when you think about it…
a. Michael’s really the only one who’s even considered (probably the only one who understands) what Sheryl’s feelings are.
b. Michael welcomed her into the flying program, and into their flying group (and, of course, this did not make Alto happy)
c. He basically tried to spell things out for Alto… albeit with limited success
d. He kisses her ass left, right, and sideways. Backhanded compliments are even better.

So when you think about it, Ranka has Nanase, and Sheryl… hrm… who has had her back most of this time?

And, I’m psychoanalyzed out. This post isn’t up to snuff, IMO, but I’ll be in the peanut gallery if anyone needs me.

Oh, and one last last thing... BreraXKlan is my new W1N!!!

a. Brera is into lolis (Ranka?)
b. He was so clearly courting her by shooting her down back in episode 9 (edit: not to mention in Macross that's akin to a marriage proposal)
c. They both have attitude
d. Matching red VF-27 and Q-Rau = win

Last edited by stray; 2008-07-16 at 00:06.