View Single Post
Old 2012-02-13, 03:04   Link #1856
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Yeah we did but we also take our translating very seriously so unless we did it unconsciously no fetishes have been projected.
Cool, I'm using it to cross-check what I think I understand from the original

You should have kept the original page numbers though

But that as well as fixing singular/plural, some pronouns and tenses were your editor's jobs anyway... so yeah... thanks for translating it

By the way, whether the translator's opinion alters or not the original is not a matter of how serious or professional he is. Plus, I did not had japanese in mind when writing it (I am nowhere near the level to have an opinion for specific translations in this language), but "Sein und Zeit" and "Übermensch" which I read translated in greek, english, and finally the originals in german; and both translations led to diverging conclusions depending on the ideology of the translator/author, especially when a part could have political implications... greek one came from the communist party, american from ultra-conservative neo-liberals, and the authors were members or ideologically close to fascism.

In japanese I guess it is easier to guide the readers thoughts to certain assumptions/conclusions based on the choice of words, especially when over-localizing the translation.

Also translating literature and philosophy is really tricky, unlike math and natural sciences where there is no room for interpretations
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote