View Single Post
Old 2007-03-22, 23:51   Link #152
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria View Post
EDIT: ANN lists "Munto (2003)" as originally produced by KyoAni. I can't say I've ever heard of this OVA, nor seen it referenced in any posts on Animesuki since I joined (Nov 2003). Given that directors and animation teams come and go- the director for Munto hasn't done anything since then- it's probably a good bet that none of the current KyoAni teams have worked on any completely original material.

I've read the current three volumes of Lucky Star, and there's no way KyoAni can make an anime series without their own input.

That said, Kyoto Animation needs to prove they can produce a 12/24 episode series based on their own original intellectual property. Munto was an OAV. I want to see something along the lines of BONES's Ayakashi or Rahxephon.
I'm pretty sure there was a sequel to Munto with the same director a year or two ago. I've seen references to both on AnimeSuki. I've only seen reference to Munto 2's pending release, however, although I do think it was.

I'm not sure if Kyoto Animation has to prove it can do a full series based on their own, original intellectual property. I just don't see why. For almost the entire history of moving pictures, adaptations have been considered entirely valid works of art. Many of the world's great directors made their reputations with adaptations. Many of the world's great films are adaptations. If there isn't a stigma in live action filmmaking -- even high-minded, "serious" filmmaking -- I don't see why there should be in a popular, genre-oriented medium like anime.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote