View Single Post
Old 2009-06-16, 11:30   Link #64
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
1 & 9 out of each set, and all honors, and extra tile that forms toitsu with any of which

eg. +

Disclaimer: I'm very much unexperienced so if I goofed it please correct me. Thankyou.
The rules and terminology of Japanese mahjong are completely alien to me, but I thought I might as well share a humorous bit of trivia: The winning hand that Cats illustrated above is known in Chinese mahjong as "shi san yao" (I have no idea what that translates into, but a rough guess would be "thirteen ones").

Popular superstition in Singapore, if not in Malaysia and Hong Kong, has it that winning with the above hand — widely considered the ultimate winning hand — is both extremely lucky and unlucky. Lucky because the odds of building such a hand is extremely unlikely; unlucky because, for you to accomplish such a feat, "someone" (from the Great Beyond) must have granted you an unsolicited boon. Everyone at the table is advised to close the game, pack up and go home (and say your prayers) if someone does indeed manage to win this way.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote