View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 12:20   Link #39
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Are we discussing production philosophy, or the quality of the product? Two different conversations there.
I thought we were discussing sales numbers.

Anyway I'd say it's more that studios like Kyoani and PA have a certain look to them. Like you can look at a show and pretty much immediately tell it's by them just by how it looks. If there's lots of hard wood floors, clear blue skies, pristine clean surroundings, and a lot of light filtering in use you can probably put a solid bet on it being either Kyoani or PA Works that's behind the show. In contrast frankly this looks very little like some other A-1 Pictures shows which historically had had a certain look to them as well (SAO imo fits in with that look). Does it mean it's going to lack in quality? Hard to say, because the two are hardly synonomous as you mentioned.

edit: Also when exactly did their become a universal list of the "top studios" when it comes to animation quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's no brainer that A-1 Pictures was the "winner studio" last year in terms of financial success having obtained 3 blockbuster sales in Anohana, Ao No Exorcist and Idolmaster as well as a bunch of mid-tier ones. Now, they seem to be going all out this year in terms of creativity. Good job A-1!
Errr they really aren't the only ones. Sunrise had Gundam UC, Horizon, Tiger & Bunny as well as a bunch of other fairly well received projects and rereleases for example, but since nobody ever pays any attention to or discusses their contributions to growing the industry I'm not surprised that hadn't come up yet. Toei did pretty well as always with One Piece, the launch of the new Precure and some other shows as well, but like Sunrise it seems like they are invisible outside their core fandom or something. I'd say the anime industry in general won last year as opposed to any specific studio, but I will also say that A-1 is probably the most improved studio in the past year or so. As Reckoner said they are starting to establish an identity and stand out more.

In general though I think for the first time in a while there might have been some actual growth in the anime industry and we're starting to see the results everywhere.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-10 at 13:38.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote