View Single Post
Old 2012-10-10, 07:27   Link #29
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I also come across a problem at trying to fit Tari Tari into a genre. What is it exactly? It started out as slice of life...ish, then it delves into drama, and lots of it. However, the overall "feel" of the anime is closer to slice of life than drama. The "drama" is more like side stories that develop each character, but it's more plot-heavy than those of other slice of life anime.

Another anime that I found to have this ambiguity is Manabi Straight. There is a central plot. It makes me cry like a wimp. Yet the episodes feel episodic. The plot is there and it's strong, but unlike typical romcom where plot gets shoved down your throat in the last 3 episodes, Manabi Straight manages to spread it out, showing more aspects of daily school life. So I end up having to classify it as a slice of life...drama. Is there such a thing? Nah.

Lastly, I have to talk about Toradora. It's pretty obvious that roughly the first third/half of the show is slice of life, and the "romance" is presented in an "it won't get resolved any time soon so it's there just for kicks". Then suddenly it drops the plot bomb, about twice later on. So what, this is another slice of life + drama? I realize that this isn't the "lowkey drama" type like the two I mentioned above, since Toradora does a complete genre change in the middle, going from pretty much one extreme to another. But hey, why not mention it too?
Stories having multiple genres (which sometimes is caused by genre shifting) is not uncommon.

You can still distinguish what genre that "part" of the story has. So to categorize it you maybe have to look at it as a whole to determine which genre is the most important or the most prominent one than the other sub genres.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote