View Single Post
Old 2014-07-20, 11:46   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Note that both Kuroko and Hata are high on the pervert scale, so making them sound like an old woman is (at least, IMO) a stroke of genius. It makes them sound that more creepy towards their 'victims'.
Yeah, it's a bit of a side-topic to the thread, but it'd be hard for me to imagine Kuroko voiced by anyone else. It's such an iconic and defining role for the VA in my mind, and just seems perfectly cast to me. Absolutely makes the character for me. Obviously, I can see why it's different for others.

This is basically why I did remove the latter-part of the thread title. It's all just a matter of opinion. A lot of the shows where they do what the OP is discussing, they're trying to set a certain tone for the character (typically to match the source material if it exists), and if it so happens the actor that best matches the tone is a woman, then great. It's not as if just changing to a male actor is going to change the tone of the performance the work and director call for, and it's certainly not as though the actor can choose to deviate the performance contrary to the direction they're given. Saying they're "lame at it" makes no sense in the first place, because they're acting in the way the voice director indicates.