View Single Post
Old 2010-07-20, 11:48   Link #346
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Every single time she controlled berserker? Seeing that tiny loli with that huge monster behind her calmly going 'kill them all.' oh yes, that was badass.
It's easy to be 'badass' when you have a big gun. And, she didn't seem quite so 'badass' when she was looking up at Shirou in despair once Berserker was gone, did she....

Quote:
With Sakura this is exactly what happened. They tried too hard. I'm not a stone-hearted person, in fact it's quite easy to get me feel for characters and to have me cry for them. I cried at the end of Utawarerumono, I cried several times during Clannad, I cried during One Piece (over a friggin ship no less) but there comes a point where you can simply be trying too hard to get me to pity a character.
Well, that may be your opinion, but it certainly didn't come across that way to me. And the way you're talking about Sakura certainly makes you seem stone-hearted from my viewpoint, even if you don't agree. Perhaps it's because you find it easier to pity a character that when one comes along who is deserving of true pity your mind can't cope with it. Sakura's situation is indeed extreme (beyond anything that could happen in real life), so I suppose it's possible that your mind just couldn't copy with how awful it is and failed to sympathise with her as a result.

Quote:
And that's all I can remember. I'm sure I even missed a few things I've forgotten since. This is what we'd call 'forced drama.' Yeah, Sakura has lead the most sucky life out of the entire cast, so statistically speaking we should feel sorry for her. But you know what? They tried too hard. Beating me to death with reasons to pity someone works counterproductive for me. For me, if you make your drama more subtle, I find it coming across much stronger.
Well, I guess you're different to me, then. I don't have some point where I go "oh, well, her suffering is too much now, so I don't care about her any more". And she's not just there to be pitied, although caring about her is undoubtedly necessary for the route to work.

But this whole attitude still astounds me. That you can not like a character because her life sucked too much, even though that's not her fault. You've certainly not made me any fonder of Ilya, in any case. Just because her suffering isn't outlined explicitly on screen, that doesn't make her a 'better' or 'more rounded' character.

Quote:
That's why I don't like Sakura that much. Her entire route was tossing more and more 'pity poor Sakura' cards on the pile. Sakura was a character created purely to feel sorry for, and like most characters of her kind, she missed the point by trying too hard.
Rubbish. Whilst you're undeniably supposed to pity Sakura, you're also supposed to respect her for her strength. She isn't created solely to be felt sorry for, she has a role in the story and her own personality that makes her endearing and makes you want to care for her.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote