View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 18:12   Link #115
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
People who don't like the way Kirino is portrayed are going to continue to claim it's an objective flaw in the show's storytelling, and people who enjoy it as is are going to continue to not care what those other people think. This whole on-going debate has been pretty pointless; it's just an opportunity for people to keep expressing over and over again why they think their personal opinions are justified and right. Well, I know: Welcome to the Internet... Not claiming I'm an exception. But at this point I think the arguments are almost writing themselves -- heck, the show itself is fueling the fire. In a sense, we're all being played. I'm going to go back to just enjoying the show.
See the irony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I had realized that the lines were similar, but you're right -- they're actually exactly the same. Clearly Kyousuke chose made the right choice. At least she didn't tell him that he's useless and should just die for not getting mad at her...
That would have been overkill I actually like how their conversation was setup. I found it particularly funny that this time, they kind of reversed roles in a sense if you noticed. When Kyousuke said "good night," it felt similar to when Kirino thanked Kyousuke way back in episode 3 I believe.

"I can't believe my older brother can be this cute!?" Eeeh!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But this isn't a pure comedy. There's a lot of drama in this.

Doing a joke that essentially is "Ha ha ha!!! Isn't it hilarious how tsun to the extreme our female lead is! And behold her getting a taste of poetic justice through her very own favorite past time! Ha ha ha!" kind of counteracts any desire to care about that character.

Like, if and when Kirino gets into trouble with her dad or Ayase or somebody else again, why should I care about her? The anime itself is going to great lengths to point out how nasty her behavior is. That kind of undermines any future drama that could depend on the viewer caring about Kirino.
Clannad had a lot of drama. Saying OreImo has a lot of drama might be a bit of a stretch in my opinion. This anime certainly does contain a bit of drama but to say it's a lot might be overstating it. While Kirino's development might not be subtle nor substantial, it can be said to be significant in terms of her relationship with Kyousuke. I can't argue that Kirino is selfish and stubborn but that's what makes her fun, at least to me. Her whole over-the-top attitude adds to the comedy along with the reactions from those around her. From my perspective, I believe some viewers might be taking her too serious.

I can understand why she might alienate the audience but there are those who like her for those very same reasons. Besides, she's not completely irrational. During some of the more dramatic moments, she seems to be slightly more reasonable.

I believe the real faults in this series lies more in the transition between comedy and drama rather than Kirino's development. This episode even asks the same questions that the audience does, teasing us even more. There's a method to their madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What's the point of a wonderful set up if there's no payoff to it?
Because the payoff comes later. The relationship between Kyousuke and Kirino has been improving little by little (slapstick humor aside.) And having been shown nearly 100% tsun for so long will reward those who have been waiting for it. I personally like this take on it since showing her dere side is predictable for the most part. Every time we expect it, we end up disappointed. But at the end of it all, those that still like Kirino will be ecstatic

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-11-29 at 18:24.