View Single Post
Old 2008-12-31, 09:25   Link #118
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but the most names are German. The problems are the vocals which the German alphabet has but other countries don't have e.g. ü which is written with ue or only u in the game.
Really? German? And yet, being Dutch I'm pretty sure I recognize places like Texel, Westerschelde, Hengelo, Sneek and Delfzijl among many others as places found on the Dutch borders in our world.

Now don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying this game takes place in the Netherlands. For one, there's the fact that the country only vaguely resembles any of our countries. The names are also all over the place, and then there's the fact that it's named Galia, a blatant French reference if there ever was one. It's a fictional world, there is no way it should be any one country. I'm just saying that I enjoy the Dutch references. The names of the places, the countryside, and even the clothing (Speaking of uniforms, the Dutch also wore blue uniforms during that era, just like the federation. ) is reminiscent of the Netherlands during the first world war. Not to mention that historically, the Netherlands also kept a neutral stance during the first world war.

The Netherlands rarely get mentioned in things like this, the only anime that use Dutch references are feudal era ones (Strike Witches took place in England, Germany and France played big roles in it, and despite that a lot of the Neuroi attacks would have come from the Netherlands, it never got mentioned T_T) and games never mention them at all, so you can't blame me for enjoying a game filled to the brink with them.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-12-31 at 09:48.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote