Thread: Licensed Ano Natsu de Matteru
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 14:36   Link #1074
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Over all, I did enjoy the series and it overcame my initial impressions and frankly, it just got better after the first few episodes. Remon(or Agent R of the Japanese branch of the MIB ) is just so epic, and I hope she gets an OVA devoted to her trolling everyone(and maybe trolling a few other J.C Staff cameo characters). I would also love to see a "Kanna After" type OVA(or Episode 13 or whatever).

Glad that the sales of this series were good too. Looking back on it, the science fiction part of the story was weaker than it should have been because we got little information on Ichika's homeworld or their qualities other than they consider Earth to be "Class-F" and they send lots and lots of mindless drones that essentially forcibly remove wayward aliens despite the potential trauma that may cause. The romance and the comedy though were what made this shine and how Kanna, Mio and Tetsurou were better characterized than Kaito or Ichika set this series apart from other "rom-coms". I did appreciate its refreshing ability to not drag out misunderstandings and the will-they-or-won't-they stuff and actually got the lead couple together 3 quarters of the way through.

The last episode was clearly all about Kaito and Ichika, and so I didn't mind so much that the whole triangle thing with the more interesting characters didn't get resolved(hopefully the home video sales will result in an OVA or a few bonus episodes for that). The message of wanting to leave something behind was pretty clear(and an interesting contrast to Another in a way too) and I liked the subtle happy ending with Kaito and Ichika reuniting(and Kaito presumably on his way to becoming a great filmmaker). Episode gets 8/10, series gets 8/10 from me too
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote