View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 13:22   Link #2121
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
Well, I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question...

So, I've always wondered about this: So what does "Moe Moe Kyun" mean? And is a phrase that originally came from K-On? And if not, where did it originally come from?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've always wondered this after seeing Sena from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai doing a variation of this also...

Spoiler for Sena Moe Moe Kyun:

Well, I hope someone answer me... Thanks...
Let's begin by addressing its meaning. Moé on its own refers to something that is endearing, in particular, for male audiences. This definition is hotly contested, but for this query, it should suffice. Something moé moé would thus have a lot of endearing characteristics. While I'm less certain on this one, kyun sounds like onomatopoeia. Thus, the entire phrase may be seen as a response to cute things.

Sources are conflicting as to whether or not K-On! was the origin of the phrase moé moé kyun. I've heard this phrase thrown around in some Japanese game shows and even Hong Kong game shows, although I am uncertain as to whether or not they predate K-On!. Moreover, I've heard from unverified sources that the phrase was inspired by a trend in Maid Cafés. I myself am inclined to believe that K-on! was not the origins of the phrase, although it certainly did help popularise it. As for its usage in Haganai, the fact that it is there implies that the phrase was probably not unique to K-On! (otherwise, feathers would fly with respect to intellectual property and so fourth )

I hope this sufficiently addresses your points