View Single Post
Old 2006-12-22, 04:12   Link #106
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Pringer_z

That's odd, that VLC is defaulting to French - unless your System Preferences have French specified as the default language. Open System Preferences (in the Apple Menu) and in the International pane, just make sure that English is at the top of the list there - you might have French specified as your default language for apps that support multiple language sets!

As to how to use subtitles in VLC, well, it's pretty simple. To activate subtitles - hit 's' when the file is playing. Either that, or go (in menus) Video>Subtitles Track>Subtitle. This will make the subfile display - and to change audio, you go Audio>Audio Track>Audio, similarly.

As to MPlayer - try a couple of things for me? Firstly, delete your MPlayer preferences file, which is located in the directory ~/Library/Preferences, under the name 'org.mplayer.mplayerosx.plist' or possibly 'hu.mplayerhq.mplayerosx.plist'. Next, try moving MPlayer to your /Applications/ folder, and then when its launched, open up the Preferences. Under the 'General' tab, ensure that Font is set to 'none', and that under the 'Miscellaneous' tab you have 'Additional Parameters' checked, and the following is inserted in the text box:

'-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig'

without apostrophes. I'm talking about thr's version here, incidentally, which is the version linked in iamtetsuo's first post in this thread, under the spoiler tags. Now, open up a file with softsubs, and hit 'b'. The display up the top should say 'subtitle track... etc' and the subs should start playing with proper styling.

Oh, and for further insurance - do all this after a clean boot, just to make sure that everything is ticking nicely. You might as well repair permissions as well while you're at it - open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to do this - as it never hurts. But yes, after a clean boot, try trashing the prefs, put a newly downloaded version of thr's compile in your /Apps/ folder and configure the preferences, and finally try an .mkv or .mp4 file.

@ Solecs

Glad to hear that at least a version is working for you. As for why it won't compile rc1 for you, I can't claim to be an expert here, as I'm not really the coder type and I haven't used an Intel Mac for any work of this nature. That said, I believe hhaamu was having this exact same problem before when he was compiling MPlayer SVN in October. I believe he in the end had to use the tag 'disable-win32'. The relevant tags would need to be added to the ./configure script - these are:

--disable-win32

So the script would be (after you've downloaded from source):

./configure --disable-win32 --disable-mp3lib --disable-sdl --disable-x11 --with-freetype-config=/opt/local/bin/freetype-config

Oh, and there was something mentioned about libmad as well - which I think is available from DarwinPorts. Anyway, if it doesn't work with the above configure script, might be worth sending a PM to hhaamu and see how it was done

-Andiyar