View Single Post
Old 2010-09-17, 17:25   Link #513
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
I don't believe what I'm reading. lol A lot more philosophical aspects in Season Two? S2 being more dramatic than S1? I must had Seinfield turned on while watching K-On Season Two then. lmao

Okay. With all pessimism put aside, perhaps on a certain level, Season Two, if condensed to the same amount of episodes as Season One (i.e.: pick 14 episodes out of Season Two), the worries of Azusa in regards to the seniors leaving her behind, though not incredibly well done (I mean, come on, how many episodes do they use to emphasize on this? Two? Maybe five used to throw around a hint or two?), it probably did add to the so-called 'dramatics' of the show.

But let's see. In a short amount of 14 episodes of Season One, we have the introduction of the characters' personalities (along with their weaknesses and strengths) in three eps, Mio dreaming about the Budokan, Sawako's dramatic boyfriend past, Mio almost overcoming her stage-fright, Yui-Ui sisterhood relationship, introduction of Azusa, what the Keion Club represents, Mio's big-sister relationship with Azusa (both of the latter ideas in one episode), Ritsu's annoying attitude being kept in check by Mio's maturity, and of course, the final Culture Festival performance with the wrap-up of Yui's growth and Mio's decisiveness, and the love the members have for Yui. Not counting the OVAs, all those ideas were superbly done in a short span of 12 episodes.

Season Two has 24 episodes, so it means more ideas and themes, right? We have Azusa fearing for the future of herself and the Keion Club, desires of keeping the members of the Keion Club as it is till the end of the year (combo-ideas done in one ep, not bad), introduction of ton-chan, what each of the roles represent in the Keion Club, Mio actually having fun for once, Azusa/Ui/Jun's bonding, everyone's fond childhood memories, Yui showing appreciation for the granny down the road- you know what, from there on, it's just mostly the HTT's appreciation of their lives with each other (or their clubroom having taken for granted), showing their teamwork (in Marathon), etc. I don't hear any Budokan. Scenes of their performances are more scarce now. I don't see any of those 'character development' you mentioned other than Yui and Azusa (Ui and Jun are just there to fill in the roles of the other HTT members), and even their CD is minimum. Drama? Decreases as the Season moves on to Episode Six.

All in all, it's not all bad. After rewatching some of those episodes in Season Two, I find it rather nice in a flippant manner, what with Azusa's bonding with Jun/Ui (despite the lack of CD amongst J&U), Ritsu/Mugi, and Episode 11/12 were kinda nice with the girls bonding and stuff. But you see, that's kinda my point, it's just bonding with no real development - like the Season One OVAs. In a full season of 24 episodes, their development only got as good a few cheap OVAs. How's that for dramatics and philosophical? I don't get it at all.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote