Thread: Tsundere
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-17, 13:25   Link #23
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Of these four, only the Lone Island Syndrome occurance can be reasonably construed as having been caused by Kyon (he fell from the cliff), and even in this case it can be argued that she was dere-dere because of the atmospere of mystery that she encountered, and Kyon was only "the last straw".

In any case, the 3 other events were completely unrelated to Kyon. In Live Alive she is dere-dere because of the adrenaline boost after the concert. In the finale, the case of dere-dere is triggered first by brooding about Asakura (or lack of her), and then by the validation of her dreams about actually finding aliens.

Kyon does not feature in Haruhi's transit to dere-ness at all and acts only as an observer.
Did you actually read my post

I already said that Kyon's role in Haruhi's dereness is not absolutely causal but CONTINGENTLY causal. And we don't have to only take examples from the anime; I've read the entire series up till Volume 7. If you haven't read it, then of course, your conception of Suzumiya Haruhi will be different from mine.

In any case, your arguments are weak and unconvincing. I do not see how you can justify the adrenaline boost after the concert as contributing to the dere-ness. That is incredibly speculative, and if you have any knowledge of the craft of novel-writing then you must know that the scene showing them together and her being dere is an INTENTIONAL act by the author. He wanted us to see them together like that, and he wanted to display Haruhi's dere-ness then. I don't see how your reasoning is even remotely plausible.

Two more points; would Haruhi have been similarly dere if it were the others who were around her at those four scenes? Would she have told Itsuki about her past if he were the one at the railroad scene? But no, this problem in SuzuHaru has to be given a broader treatment.. The fact is, her powers ENABLE the selective presence of Kyon during those very scenes. In fact, after Live Alive, in the novel, it writes suggestively that Kyon's body "directed him" (as if unconsciously) to where Haruhi was.. under the tree. If that isn't a play on her powers, then I don't know what is. There are also multiple times throughout the novel where the three continually mention Kyon's importance to Haruhi, and Itsuki has already even asserted that Kyon is the "chosen one", who Haruhi "wants to be with".

These suggest that if you argue that it was the situation that prompted Haruhi's dere-ness, we have to consider how much of an influence Haruhi had on creating the situation. From the God-theory, and anything else, I would say that there's a significant influence.

Second, we can also consider her jealous bouts.. displays of tsun behavior with underlying dere reasons (jealousy, being hurt etc). I think these are obviously linked, or should I say, directly caused by Kyon's behavior. I don't see how anyone can come up with any argument against this..

In other words, I think while your analysis is a somewhat decent attempt, you fail to consider the bigger picture. When you isolate one fact from the others, things become clearer --- but also more misleading.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote