View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 18:30   Link #100
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
English isn't my native language so I'm pretty much fishing for the right words here.

Well, if you really think having a nice family is enough a reason to explain Madoka's behavior, including her unrealistically strong desire to help others even at the cost of her life... What can I say?

Of course, I can't agree with that. Can you imagine how ridiculous would be for, say Spider-Man, if instead of his guilt over his uncle's dead, his main motivation for fighting the bad guys was a loving family?? And yeah, I know Madoka is a girl, and a few years younger too. But just a loving family is not enough of a proper motivation for what she's willing to do. If this was Nanoha, or CCS, it would be ok, but not in Madoka, not when other characters in the series are somewhat properly characterized (Homura, Yuma, etc).

Kazu-Kun, remember how a long time ago on the Spoilers and Speculations thread I debated in favor of the idea that Madoka wants to be extraordinarily helpful?

Well, there you go. That's a lot of Madoka's motivation when all is said and done, in my opinion.

Madoka simply wants to be a magical girl super hero. She wants to be "cool" and exceptionally helpful. I think it reflects a personality that is the ideal mixture (for a magical girl) of profound caring for all other human beings, of desire for greatness, and even a touch of vanity. Madoka has all of that, and I think she hinted at it a few times in the anime.

And in the end, I think that this interpretation of Madoka is the one that probably helps to explain her actions the best.