View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 20:18   Link #601
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Yup. An Olympus convert. They still have absolutely no clue how to make menus for cameras and some of the features on the E-P1 are for the lack of a better word completely idiotic. Changing focus AF focus point is somewhere 3 levels deep in the menus. Shees... All the other cameras tend to have a damn dedicated button for that since it's a bit of a vital feature for anyone who doesn't fit well in the point and shoot brigade.
Their menus are actually quite good, but as with all things it's a matter of getting used to it. With the E-P1, changing the focus points is really only two taps: bring up the super control panel (just hit "OK" to do so), and then the focus point selection is somewhere around the center left if I remember correctly. Hit OK on that, choose your point, hit OK. Done! It's a bit faster on their DSLRs that have a dedicated button, but it's a pretty fast process once you get used to it... I still have my E-P1, as well, although no µ4/3 lenses. I mostly use it for video and with legacy lenses.

Quote:
Also my old Canon FD:s work brilliantly with the PEN apart form retarded manual focus assist. Just give me a button for it, don't force me to cycle through all the display modes. (I think I did say something about a few annoyances...)
That's one of the problems with the E-P1 and E-P2; with the E-PL1 there was a button dedicated to magnifying the view, and I think that all of their cameras afterward included that button. I just wish that they had updated the E-P1's firmware so that the Fn button could have been used for that purpose.

Quote:
There's a new 4/3 to µ4/3 adapter coming out with EM-5. Don't know how much good it will do but at least it's new.
There are already three adapters of this sort (two by Olympus, one by Panasonic), but what's special about this new one is that it's weather-sealed. All of Olympus' mid- and high-end lenses are weather-sealed, and the EM-5 is also weather-sealed, so this just means that I could maintain my weather-sealing by using my current 4/3 lenses on the EM-5. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything about the sluggish autofocus. Olympus either needs to update their lenses to support contrast-detect autofocus (which is used exclusively on µ4/3 cameras) or they need to copy Nikon or Sony and figure out a way to implement phase-detection in their µ4/3 bodies.