Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary)
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-02, 23:19   Link #240
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm always over-enthusiastic for first episodes, but I must say that many of the things people are complaining about are what made me like the episode. The inexplicable and sudden stabbing, the lack of emphasis on the jokes, etc. I prefer things to be under-emphasized to being made obvious with a big, smooth ka-boom of timing or sound or image. But the fact that this is the director's first overall directoral gig (he has done episodes) does make one suspect that he may not be a master of his craft just yet.

Warning label: Shinbou is just about my favorite director, and I didn't like K-On but loved Hyouka.
You like understatement but Shinbo is your favourite director? I'm sensing a disconnect here.

Personally, I never expected the story for the show to be good and I'm just chiming in for the animation and to see what they do with the action sequences. Unfortunately my expectations seem to have been met with the first episode. It's really by the numbers in structure and set-up, and I felt the dialogue had a number of jarring disconnects and cheesy lines. It was fairly bogged down in exposition too, and they could have avoided a chunk of that by rewriting some scenes and rearranging some others.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote