View Single Post
Old 2010-11-10, 04:41   Link #1854
JediNight
キズランダム

I don't think anyone would be petty enough to ruin the writing of an entire anime series over a personal feud with some of the VAs. Especially with as much money on the line as Gundam. The simple answer is just that Destiny was written really poorly. Seed was a mostly faithful retelling of the original, while they deviated far too much from Zeta in S2 and ended up ruining it storywise.

This is why Destiny is a terrible series:
#1 - Focused too much on the S1 characters, despite the fact they were tapped out development-wise.
#2 - Let online popularity polls and gunpla sales numbers dictate the story.
#3 - MC (Shinn) was never developed and basically abandoned by halfway through.

Shinn was supposed to be a modern Kamille. But unlike Kamille, he never grew out of his childish phase and was never held accountable for his tantrums. I blame the lack of Bright Slaps to set him in line... So while Kamille had grown up a lot by halfway through the series, Shinn was still the same brat as Ep1. He ends up being a pathetic tool thats just manipulated by Dullindal the entire series. My only saving grace for him was that he ended Ep50 crying in his broken mech the same way he was in Ep1. I would have gagged if they had him do a last-minute alliance-change...

Online polls and sales numbers ended up dictating things like the story focus going back to Kira/Lacus. And the oft-maligned "Super Hacker Meyrin" episode after her figure sales were apparently terrible. (Athrun x Meyrin canon pairing olol...)

With the S1 characters tapped out development-wise, the only thing they could think to do was to have Athrun and Cagalli completely reset all their development like S1 never happened. And to basically leave Kira and Lacus be and coast along for the entire series exactly the same. Both Athrun and Cagalli end up having deep misgivings about their purpose and role in events, just like S1.

Kira was set up to be so godly (Jesus Yamato) in S1, that there was just figuratively no way for him to realistically lose in a battle. So what we end up with is them coming up with that terrible contrived "loss" at the 2/3 mark where he spends the entire battle looking backwards at the Archangel instead of paying attention. Why? To roll out a new gunpla model of course.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote