View Single Post
Old 2009-11-26, 09:04   Link #409
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

If you dont absolutely need cutesy characters you might try http://www.dofus.com/en

It features 12 classes with different spells and has a pretty big community. There is an "end" if you want to call it like that as the level is capped at 200, but as long as you dont play 14h/day it will take some time to get there as 199-200 is practically the same as 1-199 ;_; It also has professions and you can modify your equipment but it usually comes with a big risk and it takes some time to understand the maging system.

Currently Dofus is in the 1.29? stage and will upgrade into 2.0 version this weekend which will make the characters more uh chibified and massively improve graphics and gameplay. The game is divided into a small area you can access as F2P but if you want the full content you have to pay. Its not really expensive and you can also pay for 1-4 weeks, 1,3,6 and 12 months at once. They dont offer all pay services in all countries though.

Having played it for almost 4 years I can say that it has some heavy balancing issues. I dont recommend to PvP unless you have one of the classes that excel in it or having extremely good gear. Customer support is T E R R I B L E and the support page is confusing as hell. There are some bugs that are still around since beta (buffs running out too early, shooting through a wall, etc) but its not like they totally ruin the game. If you can see past those flaws you might give it a try.

Keep in mind though that there are lvl200 on every server (it has 30+ I think) so if you are looking to get a fresh start on a new game you probably should try something else. When choosing a server make sure to take one for your language, there are tons of french servers (the company is based in France), a number of international ones and several spanish, german, and so on servers.

As a final note, Dofus is heavily based on killing monsters for experience, quests do exist but their benefit is so marginally small (with one exception) that they are not worth the time.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote