View Single Post
Old 2012-12-06, 23:30   Link #13
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Another absolutely awesome episode. Psycho-Pass has been very good since the start, but it's just been consistently great since the start of the Oryo arc.

The hunter is a character that is trying to have it all. Fame, fortune, immortality... all the benefits of cutting-edge modern technology but also with the quaint aesthetics of renaissance Europe... and to "top it all off", powerful criminal thrills in his "hunts".

This strikes me as one of the types of characters that Gen frowns upon.

Yes, the cost of his cybernation and attempts for immortality is probably that his mind is becoming very twisted.

While I expect the hunter to cause a lot of problems for the protagonists, I think the hunter himself won't survive through the entirety of Psycho-Pass.

Agreed. And I suspect the Psychiatric professions are suffering as well.

I have a sister who recently completed a degree in Psychology. So I know from her experience that it's not uncommon for Psychology students to start to see all sorts of pathologies in themselves after learning about them. Many become kind of hypochondriac that way.

To fight "darkness" (be it criminality and/or the most damaged of psyches) you yourself must learn about darkness. Kogami's swamp analogy was very good at explaining the dangers inherent in this, and how not everybody is up to it.

:
I think that's the problem with the premise of this show. too many professions in the real world have you look into evil itself. I'm in Conflict Analysis and Resolution. For graduate students in the field it's rough on them. And that's before they get any real field experience. If they were soldiers before coming into the field usually they cope really well. If they survived traumatic events (genocide, war, uprisings, terrorist attack, etc) they can cope better too. But if they come straight out of undergrad with no international experience they can get PTSD pretty easily. But to be honest both the post-graduate scholars, and practitioners are susceptible to mental disorders simply because of the psychological stress the field will put on people in it. It's kinda why many don't end up going into practice in the field, but instead join the diplomatic community or work in just a research capacity. I wonder how people in my field would score in the Sibyl System
Overall, this episode has become interesting because it shows the types of field hazards that exist in the character's line of work. It is very much similar to the risk I face when I am not in the comfort of DC.