View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 21:00   Link #59
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Again, do you know all those animes to say that it is impossible for 400 titles to be better than Futurama, King of the Hill, Daria, The Venture Bros. Home Movies, and Mission Hill?

Even though what you call “worse” or “better” are up to your own taste, how can you claim that the majority or minority of something is better or worse than something else without having the knowledge?
I'm saying that by his reckoning 400 anime titles are better then the titles he cited. Anime comes out on top.

Anyway, I'm a veteran of watching anime, and I've watched a lot (over a hundred in full). I can say without much doubt that the majority of anime are turds. The majority of american animation are turds too.

He's basically comparing anime to what he considers the best of american animation, and then says that 10% of anime are better then the very best of western animation. By his logic anime as a whole is better then western animation.

And it's perfectly possible for me to assess whether something is good or not. While there's certainly a lot of room for disagreement, if you watch, say, the first episode of Shukufuku De Campanella, you'd have to be an idiot to think that show was any good. At best you can say the character designs are nice, if incredibly generic. Most shows put out there fall into that category.

Even when you go higher up, it's usually easy to seperate anime into "leagues". For instance, most anime fans would see that Madoka Magica is a better show then Shakugan no Shana, Shana is good, while Madoka is generally considered "great". I think it would be a rare thing to find a person who thought Shana was the better show. Now, if you asked people to choose which was better, Kanon or Clannad, Gundam 00 or Macross Frontier, then there'd be a lot more room for debate.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote