View Single Post
Old 2008-02-17, 23:15   Link #11
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I read this thread earlier and was borderline thinking about suggesting Haibane Renmei as well, so I'll second it. It isn't a traditional mystery by any means. The entire setting though is mysterious to the watcher. You'll quickly pick up on some things like it is a parallel to the afterlife, with the characters getting wings and halos. But some elements are harder to realize, like the crows flying over the wall...the wall being metaphorical between life and death. Or the blurry animation giving it a surreal feeling. The entire show is rife with symbolism. And it does one thing that many anime fail to do, you'll walk away as a better person because of it.

There's no fan service, no tiresome anime cliches, or fighting. It is much like a Ghibli film in that regard. What it is to me is one of the best animes out there, one that makes you think rather than merely be entertained. I've had success in starting a girlfriend and a few other friends on anime as a whole because of this show. I can't say enough good things about it. It is the only anime I think is incredibly good outside the medium of anime.