View Single Post
Old 2010-03-20, 04:02   Link #54
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanyuuChan View Post
Do you like reading VN's? Umineko is pretty hard to read if you havnt read VN's before. If you dislike reading VN's then maybe you wont like umineko.
While I enjoy 07th Expansion's work, many of their scripts are verbose and plodding by any standard (moreso with Umineko than Higurashi). An external editor would probably have a field day trimming and rearranging text.

To enjoy the games, you either have to be very tolerant of pacing issues or be able to look past them in lieu of the strong points (the interwoven mysteries and character revelations).

Quote:
Even then I would say that I found Higurashi far more interesting than Umineko anyways. Ryukishi seems to be trying to cram a lot more into each episode of Umineko considering his much larger cast. Even in the VNs I'm sure Higurashi would work much better because the cast was smaller and a lot more manageable. So it could be that I'm finding the Umineko VNs boring because he's trying to cram development for 18 characters into each episode. Which really hurts the story more than helps it.
You might not be alone in your opinion. On aggregate user review sites, Higurashi episodes typically score a good 7-10% higher than Umineko, so it's just better received in general.

Quote:
After all I know that many consider the VNs to be brillant and really well written.
They're skillfully and meticulously planned, but hardly well-written (aside from a handful of emotional scenes, nothing's overly horrible though). In the fields of games, visual novels, and light novels, you won't find many writers who're particularly skilled in prose or scenario structure. They're often all over the place, although that doesn't prevent their stories from finding audiences.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote