View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 09:45   Link #23845
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
My province.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4557174/
Quote:
Proposed legislation announced on Thursday would set the pay of chief executive officers at two times the salary of Premier Dalton McGuinty, which is currently $209,000. The legislation would not apply to current executives, many of whom make more than $1-million a year. In all, 150 employees in the broader public sector are above the $418,000 threshold.
Short summary:
If this new legislation is passed, no one can obtain a position in the Public Sector (payed with taxpayer money) with a salary, or raise to a salary of over $418,000 CAD/yr. This amount is a hard cap at twice what the Premier (Provincial leader of leading political party) makes a year ($209,000 CAD/yr).

There are currently 150 people in the public sector of Ontario who exceed this proposed cap and easily receive 1,000,000+ taxpayer dollars a year each.
-----------

*Note: If passed, this does not apply to the 150. It only applies to new employees and executives.

I hope they get this through. No immediate improvement but those people really need a leash. It's a nice step against wage disparity. I think a lot of the angry comments is directed at how this isn't 'enough' of a solution to our provincial deficit, but that's probably asking for too much at once, compared to the pace of how much got done in the past by the current premier and previous premiers.