Thread: Question A discussion on spoilers.
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 15:57   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Trowing a little suggestion for Admin/Mods. To decrease the amount of spoilers (especially for anime without it's own sub-forum), why not simple use Rot13?
I'm not sure that really solves a problem. We already have a spoiler tag to hide the spoilers. The issue is that people post spoilers in anime threads that we don't want to be placed there in the first place, or that they post things in the clear that we want to be marked/obscured. Changing from our current tags to rot13 doesn't really do anything to address those problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Just a question: Do we have to use the [nsfw] for nsfw pictures? I personally hate the dynamic version, so I always make it obvious that what I am posting is NSFW as the description of the spoiler tag.
Hiding images behind the old spoiler tag isn't really great because it's still downloaded on people's computers even if the person can't instantly see it on screen (if they do happen to be at work, even downloading the NSFW image is a bad idea -- though I suppose it's not a good idea to browse an anime forum at work anyway...). The other problem is that it muddies the water of what is and isn't really a spoiler.

I would say that we are trying to transition people away from using the old spoiler tag for that reason, and we may in fact remove the old spoiler tag entirely at some point. If you have suggestions about how to improve the dynamic tags, we'd appreciate it in the discussion thread.

So all that to say... I'm not saying that we're going to aggressively go after people for using the wrong kind of tag at the moment, but that is the direction we're heading, so I'd prefer if we can improve the tag so that you'll want to use it. I at least think it's a lot nicer if the tags themselves indicate the kind of content within. Otherwise, the Forum Rules actually specify that NSFW images have to be links and not inline (again, to prevent it from being downloaded automatically). I think this hasn't been very consistently enforced, but again, I think we're trying to move towards making things clearer and more consistent.