View Single Post
Old 2013-11-27, 01:16   Link #11
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Kyoukai no Kanata
Photokano

'nuff said.
You had expectations for Photokano? Oh, you silly, silly man!

It is with great regret that I jump aboard the "Kyoukai no Kanata" bandwagon for this one. While it may be a premature call, given that the series has yet to reach its conclusion, I believe the damage has been irreparably dealt at this point.

I am a huge Kyoto Animation fan, and before this year, I had been impressed in some way with every single show they had made; no exceptions. (I've not seen the original Munto yet.) Free wasn't exactly my cup of tea, a little bland and unengaging, but I chalked that up to it obviously catering to a different audience; one which I am not part of, and not a lapse in the studio itself. However, they followed it up with a show that very much does cater to my tastes, and which looked intriguing at first glance, but ended up being far less compelling to me than I had ever imagined. The plot is messy, the world uninteresting, and worst of all, most of the characters are egregiously bad, some of them downright unbearable to watch. The show still has visual panache, and there are glimmers of enjoyment to be found within, but barring a miraculous recovery in the final episodes, this will easily stand as Kyoto Animation's worst series to date.