View Single Post
Old 2011-09-11, 17:29   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, I think we both agree that Sui is being basically selfless here, RRR. It's just that maybe I see her reasons as being a bit more idealistic and I take her at her word a bit more.
Yes, I agree with that. I do think that the reason I called "polite pretext" has some truth to it ("pretext" was probably a bad term on my part there - "Secondary Reason" sounds better, in retrospect). I think that she really would like to see her son build something of worth out of nothing, for his own sake. But practical concerns likely are the primary reason for her decision, I think.

Which is why I think Enishi/Takako have one last chance. If they can change Sui's mind about their capabilities as Inn managers then I think Sui will also change her mind about closing the Inn.

There's two plotlines that Hanasaku Iroha is going to take right into the final episode I think, and I'm really impressed at how they've been handled so far.

Two major questions are now being put forward:

1) Will Enishi finally get his act together, with the help of his wife Takako, his sister Satsuki, and the entire Inn staff?

2) Will Ohana follow-through on her romantic plans, and end up with Ko?

I think that Hanasaku Iroha will want to end on at least a somewhat happy note, so I think that the answer to at least one of the two questions will be "yes". And both might be "yes" answers.

If Enishi gets his act together, his story will be one of sheer doggedness and determination overcoming personal flaws in order to finally succeed. It might actually be inspirational.

Interestingly, the same would be true of Ohana and her romantic fortunes. If she ends up with Ko, her story will be one of sheer doggedness and determination overcoming personal flaws in order to meet with romantic success.

Given that I've always felt this anime had a vague shonen feel to it (especially with Ohana's character), I wouldn't be surprised to see determination win the day here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
The impression I got from the talk with Ohana was that the inn was created for Sui, so in essence it and everything until now has been a selfish expression of love between her and her husband. Closing the 'Kissuiso' would be more symbolic as ending the connection between her and the physical inn rather than it being an issue of succession. She already showed remorse over how the inn affected her personal relationships and how the drive to make it successful affected the family and the workers, so I see it more as a way for her to wipe the slate clean for all the selfishness she believes she's done.
That's an interesting take. You might be right.