View Single Post
Old 2012-04-02, 16:26   Link #4
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are you talking about in real life, which is what Kyuu is referring to, or in anime? I can't say I've seen people from Western societies behaving in a Japanese fashion in anime when the stories are set in the West. There are some great scenes in Monster when the German Inspector Lunge is watching Japanese interact at a bar and he records their gestures and manner of speech. However the Europeans in that show behave like Europeans as far as I can remember.

Occasionally you'll see an anime depiction of a Westerner in Japan, though again I don't recall them bowing or otherwise acting in a Japanese fashion. (Patty in Lucky*Star, perhaps?) Do you have any examples to share?
I was referring to anime, but why not extend it to RL?

I have read a few articles about people, who admire the japanese culture to the point, they want to become truly japanese.... they stop shaking hands with people and other crazy things. I remember reading japanese people dont like this type of behaviour and I dont blame them. For them a westerner is a bit of a mystery box, they just dont know how to act around him ..... but when he is immitating what he thinks is the japanese way, it outright scares them. Mostly because as a non native he might misunderstand certain cultural nuances and sends the wrong signals.

But coming back to anime, I have seen a few times how western characters living outside japan have certain japanese mannerisms. Especially when appologizing or greeting people... well you could say courtesy behaviour. Unfortunately I cant think of any examples on the spot. I will try to remember and post it later on.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote