Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-23, 20:07   Link #2932
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Who said anything about social determinism?
Umm, yourself? You said you can't help what your reaction towards the anime is because you're an atheist middle class guy.

Quote:
This next quote seems to say that you somehow distanced religion and beliefs from this series and didn't even "think" about your relgion/beliefs while watching Simoun.

Quote:
I didn't feel compelled to even think about atheism or whatever religion I hold while I was watching the series. The fact that you are makes me think that you're really having difficulties seeing the piece as a merely fictional one, or for some reason want to plunge in your convictions wherever and whenever you have the chance to.
You've said a couple of times I have trouble seeing the piece as a merely fictional world, but you are yet to provide any proof.
Your words themselves are the proof! You're saying you can't help but plunge your atheism into Simoun:

Quote:
Being an atheist, the ending was a bitter pill to swallow.
I mean, if that isn't proof enough, I don't even know what kind of point you were trying to make.

Quote:
How could an anime that leaves most of the interpretation up to the viewer attempt to shove anything down your throat?
Eh, I'm not saying it tries to shove anything down your throat, I'm saying that there's a clear main conflict here that makes details like the metaphors used to describe it simply irrelevant. I mean, you could also say Simoun is great only because there's lots of yuri, but I'd still say your opinion is pointless.

Hence that your being an atheist must somehow inevitably make the ending "a bitter pill to swallow" is kinda pointless, because the show doesn't really put any kind of weight in the religious aspects. Show me any major conflict that is irrevocably rooted in the religious nature of the world depicted in Simoun that can't be interpreted as another, even more important conflict that supersets it, and for which religion and/or fantastic events are merely a metaphor.

Quote:
It's the same with this series, my reaction is not going to be the same as anyone elses because they leave many things up to your own interpretation. I viewed the ending and subconsciously reacted to it; it was only after thinking a while did I realize why I had this reaction.
I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear: I am not arguing whether your reaction is authentic or not, I'm saying that being disappointed at the ending or at the series as a whole because you're an atheist is kinda pointless when you think about

1) The society that spawned Simoun,
2) The conflict that is worked throughout the whole series and that spans the whole cast of characters.

That's all.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote