View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 11:25   Link #877
Xander

I realize this isn't exactly going to be a productive discussion, to say the least, but never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolyeuphyfusion View Post

An energy shortage of the scope the destruction of those mines would cause would be fatal to a technological civilization.
It would be like Iran destroying the oil fields in Saudi Arabi, there would be a World War overnight to secure the remaining refineries.
Now tell me that he isn't idiotic.
You're ignoring the little detail that the world had already been facing a series of worldwide wars at the time, which makes that specific scenario and your comparison fall rather out of context. It doesn't make much sense to make real world comparisons if you're going to ignore the differences that are part of the fictional reality portrayed by the actual show.

It would be more like if those Saudi Arabian oil fields had been damaged or destroyed during World War II (or III). There may well be an energy crisis as a result and, depending on how it is handled, increased political tensions in the medium-long term, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee another grand scale conflict in the short-medium term.

In fact, it does quite the opposite, particularly when all of the most technologically advanced countries that would have the greatest energy demand (Britannia, EU, China) are already quite exhausted from fighting the previous conflicts or as a result of their own internal rebellions and civil wars. In the immediate aftermath, it makes far more sense for the main world leaders to resolve their differences peacefully during the reconstruction phase and treat the energy crisis as a consequence of force majeure rather than automatically start some mad scramble for resources that they can't even pretend to finance or organize without first implementing some post-war political and economic house-cleaning.

Nevertheless, this is just one of many possible interpretations. Nobody here can predict anything with any objective degree of accuracy, particularly due to lack of information. Which is what also makes too many of these direct comparisons to the real world inherently and structurally flawed.

Moving on, I don't consider Lelouch to be perfect and, personally speaking, most of his decisions towards the end of the series are certainly very questionable. However, I don't think that makes him less interesting as a character, precisely because of said flaws. If you want to put it another way, perfection is boring and less human than the opposite.

Last edited by Xander; 2012-02-26 at 11:49.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote