View Single Post
Old 2012-02-24, 15:23   Link #116
Sol Falling

Hahaha, oh man. I guess I'll take it as an honour to have the yuri harem end named after me. I don't think I was the first commentor to mention it, but I'll admit I was probably the most persistent. Well, I certainly enjoyed reading it, and it seems to be an unambiguously happy end. The re-establishment of the "sexual Soul Gem cleansing" mechanic also feels like it's giving me some sense of what you meant when you said there is a method to your "madness". Now that I think of it, with this being a visual novel style narrative involving romances with all of the heroines such a mechanic seems appropriate. If a romantic relationship somewhat ensures a happy ending for a couple, then surely it makes sense for a harem ending to be one of the happiest ones in general.

As to the Emperor Jinnai plot thread. First off, I have to say that you significantly reigned in the "foreign" feeling I had about his character with the revelation that he is a "magical human". Particularly, I think the way his existence has integrated with some of the other posters' comments about why Kyuubey only contracts with girls undergoing puberty does a really good job of expanding the setting/universe of this story. So you've done some pleasing development with that.

Additionally, I have to admit I was also happy to see Madoka stepping up to oppose him and deciding not to take anymore of his bullshit fairly decisively. In the end, with Madoka's greater strength inherently, I wonder whether you intend to use Jinnai all the way to the end as the final villain in this chain of the story. Now that the world has been rearranged to make him the ruler of earth's nations politically, I suppose overcoming the consequences isn't simply a matter of defeating him physically. If there's a chance for it, I think it might be potentially interesting to see him interacting with or reacting to the arrival of Walpurgisnacht as well.

In the end, though, I do have one minor complaint/criticism in that I don't really think Jinnai's plan to force Madoka to make that wish for him was genuinely airtight, nor could it have been. Although Madoka did have the potential of Sayaka's death hanging over her, I feel like part of the inherent nature of the wishing system is that one can wish for literally anything. If Madoka had decided to refuse Jinnai by, for example, declaring "I wish for Sayaka and Homura to be safe", I do think that, whatever machines Jinnai might have had, he wouldn't have been able to prevent it. Still, though, with Madoka taking decisive action so soon in this chapter immediately afterwards, I think I would be willing to accept the explanation that that course of action simply didn't occur to her.

Good update. Thanks for the read .
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote