View Single Post
Old 2014-06-10, 22:05   Link #23
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaxxmintpie View Post
You are really telling me that storyline/characters and deliveries in JRPGs are just as mature and engaging as those in western games?

Hold on a second, I have to ask, so what comparison can be made between Ghost in the Shell and say, my little sister can't be this cute?

One inspired the matrix creator, and the other, wel...
I have to ask, what comparison can be made between One Piece and say Jersey Shores?

See, I can pit gold against crap too.

At the same time, I have no idea how you got this from my previous post about western cliche characters.

Quote:
Dark souls is the most sophisticated, difficult and demanding game to get into. it is highly acclaimed and successful in the west.

As is Metal Gear Solid.

I'm talking about story, NOT gameplay. Comparison can be made in gameplay too, but that is not the point. As this discussion branched from Anime.
Souls is one of the few the exception, not the rule. And Souls still pales in comparison with the legion of followers from Skyrim and Mass Effect.

The point is that you're basing your argument that the story of these RPG games is the determining factor of their popularity, while I'm sort of saying that by the nature of them being games, it's more likely that gameplay is the deciding factor. But yes you're right that we have gone off track which is why I'm against using game stories as an analogy to TV stories.

Quote:
Japanese Devs have the choice to break out of that JPOP culture mould and try something a little different, has depth and appeal to both youngs and adults, but they are not trying.

Why is Kojima higly regarded in the west? Why is the final fantasy series getting criticised in the recent years?
As I understand it, Final Fantasy XIII saga is just one bad decision after another.

Kojima is highly regarded because he's pretty badshit crazy and ballsy.