View Single Post
Old 2008-09-27, 06:33   Link #15
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, they did make some mistakes in TBC. But the original was so heavily flawed.

Druids - One tree class and its one tree of any function was still weak. Took until Lich King for Boomkins to be proper, until TBC for Feral to be viable. Itemisation for Druids took until TBC to finally be proper.
Warlocks - Took a long time to be fixed, Destro wasn't a proper tree until TBC
Paladins - Another one tree class. Honestly, considering how good Protection has been in TBC and that Retribution will finally be a proper tree in Lich King....Even though Holy was always good, it was the only tree for so long.

Then there was the battlegrounds. Warsong Gulch...always a joke. Alterac Valley...matches that went for a week for stuff all honor/crap rewards?! Cmon...And their initial cock-up of Arathi Basin was pathetic. To give losing sides nothing was a huge insult. It took until TBC for AV to be a proper BG. However, against TBC is the mess that is Eye of The Storm. When you're routed into 20 already in progress matches that have been 4 capped, in a row, that's just ridiculous. And frankly, 75% of the players just don't have a clue how to play that BG properly. In their favour is that the current AV and AB grounds are balanced.

Instance wise, the 10 man runs in the original were just so bad. Too long, too much loot competition, medicore loot. Molten Core was more like Molten Bore. Blackwing Lair...ugh...no raid instance invokes more anger in me than that one. I only did it because I got into one of the high-end guilds just before AQ came out. That instance was insanely unfair on Warriors. As novel an idea as Vaelstrasz was, as well as the element drakonids...making plate users suffer even more was very stupid. The loot quality in BL was bad as well.

Things finally headed in the right direction in AQ. The fights were novel and fun. Ouro and The Twin Emperors are still in my top 5 of all time, those really sorted out the pros and the scrubs. C'Thun was a real downer. But loot finally began to work for more classes. Even though the lore was iffy, I didn't mind the atmosphere or what they were trying to do. AQ20 was a good concept but wasn't executed well.

Naxxramas - very good instance. But being released so close to TBC release was a bad idea. I am looking forward to seeing this instance again.

PvP before TBC was just a joke. Play virtually non-stop for 3 months to get your PvP set and then stop playing....I don't think so....What was the point?! You can't deny that PvP finally became a proper alternative to raiding in TBC and that casual gamers finally had a reason to play. Heroics and proper PvP rewards...they were a very good addition, as were the dailies. The #1 complaint I hear from people that don't play is that WoW is too time consuming and that you have to be a hardcore raider. TBC adressed that issue to a degree.

I never expected lore to be of much siginificance in TBC, so I was never disappointed. And frankly, I enjoyed seeing the Draenei more than Blood Elves. Belfs simply superseded Undead as my preferred gank targets. If anything, the one part of mid-late TBC that annoyed me was "MORE Belf instances/zones?!" They just became overused.