View Single Post
Old 2010-05-14, 19:55   Link #2456
MFSxA

Anh Minh you are now entering the issue, whether or not God's frame of mind is the same as humans, and therefore his acts were wrong, under human consideration.

An even better issue is whether or not your an atheist, because, as any atheist worth his salt knows (I was a former atheist) there is no objective morality or duties, that my friend, directly affects your contention as to whether or not God's action is atrocious - because the answer may make you look like a hypocrite. Apologists refer to it as the "Moral Argument" for God's existence. If you have followed Dawkin's works, he affirms this - human worth more specifically (Wolpert, Lewis. Six Impossible Things before Breakfast. London: Faber and Faber, 2006, p. 215). Friedrich Nietzsche realized it by posing the question who will comfort those who have killed God? (Paraphrase)

Besides Anh Minh, if people don't want to follow authority that's their choice. It is quite sad that the Catholic Church gave in to these abuses.

Abraham Lincoln put it well, and I paraphrase, you want to know a man's character? Give him power.

The leaders of the church in those times showed their character. But such does not derogate to the fact that Christian scripture does not teach such actions.

That vital distinction must be noted, for fairness' sake.
So I said in my heart, "As it happens to the fool, It also happens to me, And why was I then more wise?" Then I said in my heart, "This also is vanity." For there is no more remembrance of the wise than of the fool forever, Since all that now is will be forgotten in the days to come. And how does a wise man die? As the fool!

Ecclesiastes 2:15-16, NKJV
MFSxA is offline   Reply With Quote