View Single Post
Old 2010-08-07, 04:28   Link #4296
Qaenyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Even if I'm to take your example as the absolute.

Why did Ryukishi make Erika do all these things in arc 6? Was it for a gameboard reason? No it was for a meta-reason. I'm pretty certain you're going to say this is wrong and I can't prove that so I'll stop there, but it goes back to my original point.

Edit : My understanding is that yes the pieces have some limitations within the gameboard. The main one would be knox 8th suggesting that if they do something that has a role in the story there has to be hints toward why they did it/that they did it. My general understanding is.
Arc 1-2-3 : Makes probably full sense.
Arc 4 : Start to stretch it but still makes sense.
Arc 5 : Battler's actions makes less sense then usual, Erika's actions only makes sense if she believes this is all a game. Which doesn't make much sense in itself.
Arc 6 : Erika's actions doesn't even try to make sense on the board.
I agree with your analysis of the games, however I try to view the board from multiple perspectives and layers. Essentially I feel there's 3 aspects of the games.

The Mystery Layer: The events which really happened. All things accomplished through human means. What the Meta references and Illusion of the Witch are all metaphors for.

The Fantasy Layer: The Illusion of the Witch and the Meta-World. Essentially where the Red Truth is the literal truth and the Blue Truth is the purported truth(What really happened and what may have really happened), the Fantasy Layer and Gold Truth are what people believe to have happened. Where Beatrice killed everyone using magic. Where Virgilia and Beatrice fought a magical battle in the garden. And where Erika and Dlanor exist.

The Game Layer: This is the aspect of the game as a flowchart or outline. Essentially the way things are layed out to be solvable by the player. Things being metaphors, things being structured as hints. Arcs 1-4 being seperate from arcs 5-8.

Essentially the game can theoretically make sense on all 3 of these layers by the time Arc 8 is out. Supposedly.

On the third layer the way I look at it is that each Arc from 1-4 are meant to be mysteries we are layed out to solve(much like Higurashi Arcs 1-4). Arcs 5-6 are meant to give us hints and partial explanations towards tools or theories we can apply to arcs 1-4 to solve them(Say, arc 6 presents us with hints towards Shkannon, which can then be applied to 1-4 to help solve some of the mysteries). Much like Higurashi arcs 5-6.

Arcs 7-8 are meant to be solutions to the overarching storyline, giving everything away rather than hints, and concluding the plot with a resolution. Much like Higurashi 7 and 8.

Layer 2, the Fantasy Layer, is the overarching plot, the meta world(also see, Rika+Hanyuu's story in Higurashi).

Layer 1, the Mystery Layer is several variants of individual plots, meant to be solved independently using the same "game format" or rules. Much like how Higurashi 1-4 can be solved as individual mysteries using the general knowledge of the games as a collective item.