View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 09:58   Link #31657
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Nah. Logic errors are never about implausible motives or bad writing, only things that are 100% impossible. The letter was meant to have been left by Battler in the first place anyway, so we know that the person to do it would have just been whoever is most convenient to the game master. And once we realize that, it doesn't matter who did it, as long as it's possible.
The question is more, who has the letter? Is Battler the only person who could have it at that point, or could it nebulously be in the hands of anyone in on things? Could it have been left ahead of time? That sort of thing.

If the letter can only be placed by Battler, that's a problem. Erika never went into the logistics of where the letter came from though, at least in the sense of "who had it in their possession last." Battler can get around that by just saying the letter was not on his person, but his intent appears to have been that it was. That's a relatively easy detail to retroactively change, but it makes me wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I support Genius Battler, and not for that reason at all (I actually find that reason just as bogus as you do). Just remember that BATTLER's viewpoint in EP6 had to be made unreliable because he had learned the truth (Featherine said so). What else could BATTLER's unreliable viewpoint be hiding from us, if not that he's actually Genius Batter?

And while I understand your point that it's in Battler's character to be incompetent, he was anything but at the end of EP5. It's not implausible at all to suppose he stayed that way through EP6.
There's also his ep8 game in which Battler claims that he loses strategically in order to win in the end, which in my mind all but confirms it because:
  • In BATTLER's game people are nearly interchangeable with their meta-selves, and Battler especially speaks as BATTLER multiple times; and
  • It's very explicitly BATTLER's game alone and he does a lot of things that are for his own benefit and satisfaction, even as he does things for Ange; and
  • Battler's behavior in ep8 betrays a fair degree of subtlety, something he always had to some extent but usually didn't lean on.
So we have a BATTLER creating a game who is known to be capable of being subtle, sometimes has characters speak for their meta-selves and not their game selves, and makes a comment about losing on purpose and not always bluffing when he appears to be bluffing. I don't really see much point for him saying that unless it actually is meant to be taken as a hint to something else, plus it seems like that's one of his operating strategies at times in Twilight too.

Alternately it's all in Ange's head and she happens to believe in Genius Battler also. And Ange is never wrong, except all the times where she is.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote