View Single Post
Old 2012-12-29, 10:44   Link #223
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
.hack was released about a decade ago, at a time when MMOs were comparatively new. Both are about potential future VRMMOs but SAO was made today. Making a prediction as to what these would be like is much different and easier based on today's technologically improved MMOs than it was a decade ago, so I don't fault the former for that. Anyways, does that really matter? Since when was anime about realism?
As such, I was talking about the story told (which is what matters, imo), not game mechanics. Where .hack was pleasantly plot-driven, SAO decided to go down some strange harem/romance route, which I didn't expect or enjoy. SAO had potential...but wasted it carelessly on fanservice and girly romance.

You could say that I went into this show with the wrong expectations though.
If we're talking realism then I could hardly be expected to defend SAO, could I? I mean, we are talking harems and fanservice. But just going back the basic notion of being stuck in a game, I felt like SAO was written from a gamer's perspective on the matter while .hack treated it more like... I'm not entirely sure, but the fact that you could take the game part out entirely and still have most of the story make sense sends me a warning flag.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote