View Single Post
Old 2003-12-26, 20:34   Link #10
jir0
grumpiest when sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama
Hmm, I searched for a little info about Texhnolyze but there isn't much..
Do you know where I could find a sample clip? I'm really interrested in that one
The group Wizzu on the group list at animesuki, their main site has a lot of detailed information on the series. and probably the clip...and more.

EDIT: I forgot, anyway, I was going to recommend juuni kokki. the plot was flawless, and i think it's in the intelligent genre. i've never paid so much attention while watching an anime. I read a really good review on Animenfo, and i'll just quote it here.

Quote:
Over the past couple of years, I have been extremely bored with the new anime coming out of Japan. This is an exception, and a notable one at that. If I could only watch one anime show from this season, it would be this one. It has developed into something truly remarkable in the 15 episodes released so far, and I hungrily await the next release.

From the start, I realized that this show would be something different, since the opening featured classical instrumentation set to a pastoral landscape and tapestries. I was pleasantly surprised, as it was not the pop synth beats and pop vocals featured in most anime openings. The ending song is not quite as good, but I still like it; it has a rustic, unprocessed tone to it that I appreciate. Anyway, as to the first episode--to tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed. I saw the rather pathetic main character Yoko get thrust into the thick of the action without any explanation whatsoever. It was all beautifully animated, but I was left with a somewhat ambivalent feeling. I made a mental note of this show and waited for more. Then came episodes two and three. The monster battles almost disappeared (the ones that did happen were not animated). The show took on a quieter, more introspective style, and the viewer began to learn more of the main character (there is a reason why she is so pathetic, so I won't be too hard on her). There were hints of a political conspiracy, and in addition I was impressed by the richness of the world that was presented. The mythology was interesting, but more importantly I was struck by how much the show was rooted in history. The architecture and dress is that of ancient imperial China. There are also historical symbols as well. For example, the false empress of Kei was named Joei, after the Joei Codes, the first codified warrior law (issued in the Kamakura period). This represents the idea of a military usurper supplanting a 'rightful' bureaucratic regime. Taikas in the anime are people from the fantasy world who were born in the real world, a few of whom had returned to provide benevolent administration. This obviously refers to the Taika Reforms during the Nara period of Japan, in which Prince Naka and Nakatomi no Kamatari (later Fugiwara) seized the government and reorganized it under Chinese Confucian principles.

But I digress a bit. You'll enjoy it whether or not you catch the historical references. I'll try not to completely spoil the show, but I will say that there is plenty of character development; Yoko eventually breaks out of her shell of helplessness and paranoia, while her companion (a bit unstable to begin with) goes off the deep end when introduced to the fantasy world."
- 3line