View Single Post
Old 2010-05-14, 21:50   Link #1
Seiryuu

Botched prophecy

OK, I've seen lots of anime/manga where the "villains" either make a bogus prophecy or twist an existing one deliberately so that the "hero" who may thwart them looks like a demon who must be killed (perfect example, Scrapped Princess).

How about something a little different? Are there any setups where the prophecy is real, but we(humanity) screw up ourselves somehow? A few pages are missing, words smudged, we interpret a passage wrong, stuff like that. We have a true prophecy foretelling a coming disaster and the one(s) who can save us, but we somehow misunderstood and think that they're the demons who brought this upon us.

One example is something I'd speculated on when watching Kyoran Kazoku Nikki. It seemed odd that such diverse beings, completely different species, were supposed to be cousins. So what if the DNA sample was contaminated, contained Enka's tissue and some blood from the warriors who killed him? The legend is completely intact, but a small error results in the direct descendants of ancient heros being targeted as demons destined to someday destroy everything.

Rather than some big bad deliberately rewriting legends and prophecies, I'd like to see something where our own error sets us to try and exterminate our last and only hope.